When no remedy comes to the rescue of treating hip pains and its interferences in daily activities, hip replacement surgery can be a good option to try out. Arthritis damage is the most common reason to need a hip replacement.
In this process of hip surgery, the surgeon primarily removes the damaged or worn-out portions of the hip with parts of metal, ceramic, or sometimes hard plastic. All these artificial joints help in the reduction of pain and improve function.
Conditions that can damage the hip joint, sometimes making hip replacement surgery necessary, include:
• Osteoarthritis– This is commonly known as “wear and tear arthritis” as it damages the slick cartilage that covers the end of the bones and also helps the joints to move smoothly.
• Rheumatoid arthritis– This is caused by an overactive immune system, which results in inflammation that can erode cartilage and sometimes in underlying bone roo. This finally impacts damaged and deformed joints.
• Osteonecrosis. Inadequate blood supply to the ball portion of the hip joint, resulting from a dislocation or fracture, the bone might tend to collapse and deform.
Materials used in the implant depend on different factors, including:
• Age of the patient
• The activity level of the patient
• Surgeon’s preference
• Particular deformities/abnormalities of the hip
Here are brief descriptions of some of the most commonly used hip replacement implants. Not all implants are options for all patients. It is extremely an individualistic option arising out of various reasons-
Just like metal implants, ceramic hip replacement implants also use metal parts that fit within the bone. The difference however lies in the bearing surface (the ball and the socket), which is made of ceramic material. Ceramic hip implants are designed to be the most resistant to wear of all available hip replacement implants. Their durability is much better when compared to metal-on-metal implants. This is because ceramics are more scratch-resistant and smoother than any of these other available implant materials. Older versions of ceramic implants had several problems because they were prone to breakage, but the newer versions do not have any such problems. This reason has led to the wide popularity of ceramic hip replacements in recent times.
There is never a single best implant or none of the procedures can be termed as the best. As new implants are devised to fight the older implants, many new problems arise in the process of performing new implants too. This is one of the greatest reasons why some surgeons prefer to perform an implant with a good, long track record. Before carrying out the surgery, your surgeon should be able to clearly explain why they are recommending a particular implant for you, and then you should choose the best for yourself
Shivanta Hospital in Ahmedabad is known for its excellence in orthopedic care, particularly in the field of hip replacement surgery. With a team of highly skilled and experienced orthopedic surgeons and state-of-the-art equipment, Shivanta Hospital is widely regarded as the best hip replacement surgeon in Ahmedabad.